Lamb rump with whipped feta and grilled zucchini
This lamb rump recipe brings out flavors simple and fresh with ingredients from quality. Lamb steaks are wonderful cooked to perfection, but you can cook them to your liking. preferred degree of doneness using the temperatures below.
We are so lucky in France to have a lamb of such quality. Buy the best you can and always ask your butcher to remove the rumps. Lamb can be temperamental in terms of cooking temperatures to temperature. You shouldn't leave things to chance. It's very easy to overcook or undercook lamb in search of the perfect pale pink meat.
Served with lightly whipped feta and roasted zucchini, this makes for a simple yet impressive meal.
Cook your lamb at the following temperatures:
- 4 good quality lamb chops (approx. 200-250g each)
- ½ garlic bulb cut
- A few sprigs of rosemary
- Sell them more
- Cracked black pepper
- A knob of butter
- Rapeseed or vegetable oil
- 200g of feta
- 100g fresh cream
- A handful of finely chopped mint
- A good zest of lemon
- 2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise
- Citron Press
HOW TO COOK LAMB STEAKS
The best way to cook lamb rump steaks rare, means or well done is to use an instant-read meat thermometer like the Thermapen. Cooking at temperature and not time will ensure you get the color and texture you are looking for.
Cooking the lamb steak
- Preheat your oven to 180 C. Take your lamb chops out of the fridge and let them 15 to 20 minutes at room temperature. This helps for nice even cooking.
- While the lamb comes to room temperature, whisk the feta, crème fraîche, mint, and lemon in a mixing bowl until stiff. pleasant and airy, ready to garnish your lamb.
- Carefully mark the upper fat of the buttocks in a criss-cross pattern with a nice sharp knife to allow the fat to melt.
- Rub the rump steaks with a little oil well season with salt and black pepper. Place your skillet on fire medium/high and once hot, place the rump steaks skin side down to get a good sizzle. Cook on this side for 2-3 minutes until you have one beautiful golden melted fat.
- Flip the chips and add the butter, garlic and rosemary. Brush the lamb with the foaming butter and brown gently on all sides.
- Place the rumps in the preheated oven and cook until internal temperature reaches desired doneness on your Thermapen. I went to 60-65 C, which took about four minutes, but check after three. Once at temperature, remove the rump steaks from the oven and place them on a cutting board to let them rest.
- During rest, place the zucchini flesh side down in the same pan with the cooking juices from the lamb and cook for a few minutes until tender. caramelized and golden. Finish with a little lemon juice.
- Once rested, cut your lamb croutons and serve with a generous spoonful of whipped feta and the fried zucchini. It goes very well with a good saline dry white wine like a assyrtiko grec.